Sunday 15 November 2009

A word on the blog address...

Greetings.
The title of this blog is A Social Commentary at the interesting address of 'rabadashtheridiculous' quite simply because in my other blog 'mimseyesonthesky' I was starting to rant a little about the world and society and realised that it wasn't really in keeping with the original aim of the blog. I originally used my first blog as a means of conveying my journeys either to actual places or just in life, but somewhere along the line I began to make some social commentary that didn't seem appropriate. Thus Rabadash the Ridiculous was formed.

It is named thus from the C S Lewis book 'The Horse and His Boy'. Rabadash is a character from the story who foolishly tries to attack Archenland, a neighbouring country to Narnia, without provocation (aside from having his marriage proposal declined by Queen Susan). He ultimately becomes a symbol of an uninspiring era in the history of his native country Calormen because of his early folly, which has, unbeknownst to his countrymen, made him captive in his own city (thanks to Aslan). It is because of his apparent lack of native pride / ambitions of conquest that he earns the posthumous title "Rabadash the Ridiculous"

I felt it was an apt address to use for my blog on social commentary, albeit slightly random, because I feel we are in an interesting era where everything is sort of upside down. I may use the phrase "Donkey Award" and this is another reference to Rabadash, who was turned into a donkey before returning to Calormen. I shall probably nominate various people for this award. For example, last week it would have gone to The Sun newspaper whose campaign against Gordon Brown for misspelling a fallen soldier's name in a handwritten letter to his grieving mother backfired when they misspelled his mother's name in their editorial. Sweet irony and poetic justice.

So here it is. I present you the new blog for social commentary. Enjoy, comment, criticise if you need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment